Lemon (Citrus Limon)
Lemon essential oils fresh scent is prized for improving concentration and increasing energy levels, while also increasing feelings of happiness and joy.
Lemon oil is known for assisting in digestion and promoting detoxification, and can help fight high blood pressure, improve blood circulation, fat cellulite and general obesity. Lemon works as an antibacterial agent and serves to stimulate the immune system and also works as an astringent and cleanses greasy skin. Its antiseptic and microbial properties make it especially effective for treating dandruff and scalp acne.
Botanical Family, Origin & Extraction: Rutaceae (citrus); Italy; Cold pressed from rind (requires approx 3000 lemons to produce a kilo of oil).
Properties: Antiseptic, anti-viral, astringent, invigorating, refreshing and tonic
Body Systems Affected: Digestive, immune, and respiratory system
Aromatic Influence: Lemon essential oil promotes health, healing, physical energy, and purification. It has a fragrance that is invigorating, enhancing and warming. Notes of citrus, fresh, fruity, lemony, hint of sweetness
Other Possible Uses: This oil may be beneficial for anxiety, blood pressure, soothing broken capillaries, dissolving cellulite, clarity of thought, debility, digestive problems, energy, gallstones, hair (cleansing), promoting leukocyte formation, liver deficiencies in children, lymphatic system cleaning, memory improvement, nails (strengthening and hardening), nervous conditions, respiratory problems, cleaning the skin of dirty children, sore throats, and promoting a sense of well being. It works well in removing gum, wood stain, oil and grease spots. It may also brighten a pale, dull complexion by removing dead skin cells
Historical Uses: Lemon has been used to fight food poisoning, malaria and typhoid epidemics, and scurvy (in fact, sources say that Christopher Columbus carried lemon seeds to America -- probably just the leftovers from the fruit that was eaten during the trip). Lemon has also been used to lower blood pressure and to help with liver problems, arthritis, and muscular aches and pains
French Medicinal Uses: Air disinfectant, anemia, asthma, cold, fever (reduces), germicide, gout, heartburn, intestinal parasites, red blood cell formation, rheumatism, throat infection, ureter infections, varicose veins, water purification, white blood cell formation
Blends With: Chamomile, eucalyptus, fennel, frankincense, geranium, juniper, peppermint, sandalwood, and ylang ylang
Directions for Use: Generally regarded as safe (GRAS) for internal consumption fy the FDA (21CFR182.20)*
- Dilute 1 drop oil into 1 teaspoon honey or in 4 oz of beverage (i.e. soy/rice milk)
- Diffuse 6-8 drops in a diffuser of your choice
- Apply to forehead, temples, flex points and/or directly on area of concern
- May be added to food or water as a dietary supplement (1-2 drops)
- Not for children under 6 years old
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes
- Avoid direct sunlight for up to 12 hours after use on exposed skin; can cause irritation
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (refer to an aromatherapy text)
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should consulting a trained healthcare practitioner prior to use
- You should not use this information for treating a health problem or disease or to make a self-diagnosis
- Contact your healthcare provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem
- Stop using this product immediately if you suspect an allergic reaction
GC/MS Report: The analysis of our Lemon batch sample meets the expected chemical profile for authentic essential oil of Citrus limon. No contamination or adulteration was detected. The results provided in the GC/MS quality analysis reflect the chemical composition of the oil and lot referenced on the date of analysis.
*Mockingbird Apothecary does not recommend ingestion of essential oils