Unfiltered Raw Honey
The health benefits of Unfiltered, Unrefined, Raw Honey are many and varied.
- A good source of antioxidants: Raw honey contains an array of plant chemicals that act as antioxidants that help to protect your body from cell damage due to free radicals. Free radicals contribute to the aging process and may also contribute to the development of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Research shows that antioxidant compounds in honey called polyphenols may play a role in preventing heart disease.
- Antibacterial and antifungal properties: Raw honey can kill unwanted bacteria and fungus as it naturally contains hydrogen peroxide, an antiseptic. Its effectiveness as an antibacterial or antifungal varies depending on the honey, but it’s clearly more than a folk remedy for these kinds of infections.
- Phytonutrient powerhouse: Phytonutrients are compounds found in plants that help protect the plant from harm. The phytonutrients in honey are responsible for its antioxidant properties, as well as its antibacterial and antifungal power. They’re also thought to be the reason raw honey has shown immune-boosting and anticancer benefits.
- Help for digestive issues: Honey is sometimes used to treat digestive issues such as diarrhea, though there isn’t much research to show that it works. It’s proven to be effective as a treatment for Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) bacteria, though, a common cause of stomach ulcers. It’s also a potent prebiotic, meaning it nourishes the good bacteria that live in the intestines, which are crucial not only for digestion but overall health.
- Soothe a sore throat: Honey is an old sore throat remedy and works as a cough suppressant. Also, research has suggested that honey is as effective as dextromethorphan, a common ingredient in over-the-counter cough medication. Just take one or two teaspoonfuls, straight and add it to hot tea with lemon when a cold virus hits you.