Vetiver (Vetiveria zizanoides)
Vetiver essential oil is known for its strengthening properties that make it ideal to ease problems of the mind to promote restful sleep and balancing emotions to promote positive moods, it also boosts immunity. Because of its psychologically grounding, calming and stabilizing properties, vetiver has also been valuable for relieving stress and helping people recover from emotional traumas and shock.
It's sedative properties have made it ideal for use in relieving nervousness and restoring a sense of serenity and it is reputed to effectively diminish feelings of anger, irritability, panic and restlessness.
Botanical Family, Origin & Extraction: Gramineae (grasses); Haiti; Steam distilled from roots
Properties: Antiseptic, antispasmodic, calming, grounding, immune-stimulant, rubefacient (locally warming), sedative (nervous system), stimulant (circulatory, production of red corpuscles)
Body Systems Affected: Emotional Balance, hormonal and nervous system, and skin
Aromatic Influence: It is believed that this scent – known for its fresh, warm yet cooling, woody, earthy, and balsamic notes – can encourage feelings of confidence, stillness, and tranquility. Vetiver has a heavy smokey, earthy fragrance reminiscent of patchouli with lemon-like undertones.
Other Possible Uses: Vetiver may help acne, anorexia, anxiety, arthritis, breasts (enlarge), cuts, depression (including postpartum), insomnia, muscular rheumatism, nervousness (extreme), skin care (oily, aging, tired, irritated), sprains, and stress
Historical Uses: The distillation of vetiver is painstaking, labor intensive activity. The roots and rootlets of vetiver have been used in India as a perfume since antiquity.
Folklore: Known in India as the "oil of tranquility", vetiver is distilled from the root of a scented grass native to India that is botanically related to citronella and lemongrass
Blends With: Clary sage, jasmine, lavender, patchouli, rose, sandalwood, ylang ylang
Directions for Use: approved by the FDA for the use as a Food Additive (FA) and Flavoring Agent (FL)*
- Dilute 1 drop oil into 1 teaspoon honey or in 4 oz of beverage (i.e. soy/rice milk)
- Diffuse 6-8 drops in a diffuser of your choice
- Apply to forehead, temples, flex points and/or directly on area of concern
- Not for children under 6 years old; use with caution and in greater dilution for children 6 years old and older
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (refer to an aromatherapy text)
- The information on this website is not intended to diagnose or prescribe
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should consulting a trained healthcare practitioner prior to use
- You should not use this information for treating a health problem or disease or to make a self-diagnosis
- Contact your healthcare provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem
- Stop using this product immediately if you suspect an allergic reaction
GC/MS Report: The analysis of our Vetiver batch sample meets the expected chemical profile for authentic essential oil of Vetiveria zizanoides. No contamination or adulteration was detected. The results provided in the GC/MS quality analysis reflect the chemical composition of the oil and lot referenced on the date of analysis.
*Mockingbird Apothecary does not recommend ingestion of essential oils