Ylang Ylang Essential Oil (Cananga odorata)
.Ylang Ylang essential oil has soothing properties that make it effective for stress and nervous conditions as well as beneficial for health concerns such as high blood pressure, rapid breathing & heartbeat and stress-related digestive problems like irritable bowel syndrome.
Ylang ylang oil has a balancing effect on sebum and is useful for both oily and dry skin types and relieves congested skin caused by acne.
Botanical Family, Origin & Extraction: Annonaceae (tropical trees & shrubs - custard-apple); Madagascar; Steam distilled from flowers
Properties: Anti-depressant, antiseptic, antispasmodic, sedative and tonic
Body Systems Affected: Emotional balance, cardiovascular and hormonal
Aromatic Influence: Ylang ylang has a scent that is sweet, heavy, narcotic, cloying, tropical-floral with spicy balsamic undertones emit an aphrodisiac-inducing aroma which influences sexual energy and enhances relationships. It may help stimulate the adrenal glands and has historically been used for impotence and frigidity. In aromatherapy it is calming and relaxing and may also help with anger, possibly rage and low self-esteem. It brings back the feeling of self-love, confidence, joy and peace.
Other Possible Uses: Ylang ylang may help balance male-female energies so one can move closer towards being in spiritual attunement and allow them to focus their thoughts together, filtering out the ever-present garbage. It may help lower blood pressure, rapid breathing, balance equilibrium, frustration, balance heart function, impotence, infection, intestinal problems, sex drive problems, shock and skin problems.
Historical Uses: Interestingly enough, the original wild flowers of the Ylang Ylang plant had no fragrance. Through selection and cloning, we have this unique fragrance today. Ylang ylang has been used to cover the beds of newlywed couples on their wedding night, for skin treatments, to soothe insect bites, and in hair preparations to promote thick, shiny, lustrous hair (it is also reported to help control split ends). It has also been used to treat colic, constipation, indigestion, stomachaches and to regulate the heartbeat and respiration.
French Medicinal Uses: Anxiety, arterial hypertension, depression, diabetes, fatigue (mental), frigidity, hair loss, hyperpnea (reduces), insomnia, palpitations, tachycardia
Blends With: Anise, bergamot, cardamom, chamomile, cumin, geranium, grapefruit, lemon, marjoram, sandalwood, vetiver
Directions for Use: Generally regarded as safe (GRAS) for internal consumption by the FDA (21CFR182.20)*
- Dilute 1 drop oil into 1 teaspoon honey or in 4 oz of beverage (i.e. soy/rice milk)
- Diffuse 6-8 drops in a diffuser of your choice
- Apply to forehead, temples, flex points and/or directly on area of concern
- It may be beneficial when applied over thymus (to help stimulate the immune system)
- Repeated use can possibly result in contact sensitization
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (refer to an aromatherapy text)
- The information on this website is not intended to diagnose or prescribe
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should consulting a trained healthcare practitioner prior to use
- You should not use this information for treating a health problem or disease or to make a self-diagnosis
- Contact your healthcare provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem
- Stop using this product immediately if you suspect an allergic reaction
GC/MS Report: The analysis of our Ylang Ylang batch sample meets the expected chemical profile for authentic essential oil of Cananga odorata. No contamination or adulteration was detected. The results provided in the GC/MS quality analysis reflect the chemical composition of the oil and lot referenced on the date of analysis.
*Mockingbird Apothecary does not recommend ingestion of essential oils