If you’re new to essential oils, then the abundance of information available can be very overwhelming. Many sellers may urge you to purchase kits or combinations of oils that could end up collecting dust and many people never wind up using the oils at all!
That’s why I recommend starting off with one or 2 oils. Ideally, learning everything you can about one essential oil, integrating it in to your daily life and then moving on to another oil is the best strategy.
Best beginner essential oil
So, what's the best essential oil for a beginner to start with? Lavender!
Lavender essential oil is by far the safest and most versatile oil. It has so many uses from lessening stress to stopping an itch from bug bites. Here are just a few great ways to integrate lavender oil into your life:
- Lavender’s unique properties promote rapid healing and reduce scarring making it a wonder for minor scrapes, cuts and acne
- Lavender’s balancing powers help clear blemishes, even skin tone and hydrate skin
- The sweet, floral scent has long been used to calm, relax and uplift the spirits
- Historically, lavender has been used to treat headaches, cramps and pain in the joints and muscles
- Lavender works well for alleviating symptoms of bronchitis, asthma and coughs
- Lavender works phenomenally at taking the sting out of burns and bug bites
- Lavender in aromatherapy can drastically improve sleep.
As with all essential oils, there are a few precautions to take when using Lavender. Do not use this oil if you have low blood pressure as it will lower it even further. Also, avoid Lavender during the 1st & 2nd trimesters of pregnancy.
How to use your Lavender essential oil
You can add Lavender essential oil in your life today! Here's how:
- Diffuse lavender in the evenings to help your family wind down
- Help your hyper dog calm down by swiping a small amount of lavender on his collar
- Place a couple of drops on a tissue and tuck in to your pillowcase at night to help battle insomnia
- Mix a few drops with your favorite facial lotion to help treat problem skin
When choosing a Lavender essential oil, make sure that it is steam distilled from the flowers and stalks of the plant. Lavender is commonly grown in the Mediterranean and throughout Europe, though it’s most famously found in France.
At The Mockingbird Apothecary we carry only pure, undiluted Lavender essential oil sourced from high altitudes in France. Lavender from high altitudes tends to produce improved oils because they are distilled at lower temperatures. The aroma is floral, fresh and sweet and not the least bit nauseating or overpowering like many other lavender providers on the market.