Myrrh essential oil has a sedative scent, known to stabilize emotions, lift negative moods, promote the feeling of being grounded, and encourage the feeling of spiritual awakening. Myrrh Oil is a common ingredient in remedies for asthma, cough, colds, lung congestion, and indigestion.
Botanical Family, Origin & Extraction: Burseraceae (resinous trees and shrubs)
Properties: Anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, astringent and tonic
Body Systems Affected: Hormonal, immune & nervous systems and skin
Aromatic Influence: Myrrh promotes spiritual awareness and is uplifting
Other Possible Uses: This oil may help increase appetite, asthma, athlete's foot, candida, catarrh (mucus), coughs, eczema, digestion, dyspepsia (impaired digestion), flatulence (gas), fungal infection, gingivitis, gum infection, hemorrhoids, mouth ulcers, decongest prostate gland, ringworm, sore throats, skin conditions (chapped, cracked and inflammation of skin), wounds and wrinkles
Historical Uses: Myrrh was used as incense in religious rituals, in embalming
Folklore: Well over 2000 years before the baby jesus received myrrh as a gift, it was one of the most desired and most expensive items in the world. According to Roberta Wilson, "In Greek Mythology, Aphrodite forces the goddess Myrrha into an incestuous relationship with her father, Cinyras. Cinyras avenged the act by turning his daughter int a myrrh tree. When the tree sprouted its blooms, their child adonis was born. The resinous drops that exude from cuts in the tree's bark were said to be Myrrha's tears"
French Medicinal Uses: Bronchitis, , diarrhea, dysentery, hyperthyroidism, stretch marks, thrush, ulcers, vaginal thrush, viral hepatitis
Blends With: Frankincense, lavender, patchouli, sandalwood, and all spice oils
Directions for Use: Approved by the FDA for use as a Food Additive (FA) and Flavoring Agent (FL)*
- Dilute 1 drop oil into 1 teaspoon honey or in 4 oz of beverage (i.e. soy/rice milk)
- Diffuse 6-8 drops in a diffuser of your choice
- Apply directly to flex points or on area of concern
- Not for children under 6 years oil; use with caution and in greater dilution for children 6 years old and over
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (refer to an aromatherapy text)
- The information on this website is not intended to diagnose or prescribe
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should consulting a trained healthcare practitioner prior to use
- You should not use this information for treating a health problem or disease or to make a self-diagnosis
- Contact your healthcare provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem
- Stop using this product immediately if you suspect an allergic reaction
GC/MS Report: The analysis of our Myrrh batch sample meets the expected chemical profile for authentic essential oil of Commiphora myrrha. No contamination or adulteration was detected. The results provided in the GC/MS quality analysis reflect the chemical composition of the oil and lot referenced on the date of analysis.
*Mockingbird Apothecary does not recommend ingestion of essential oils