Peppermint Essential Oil (Mentha piperita)
Peppermint stimulates the immune system function to assist with preventing colds, flu and fevers and has a long history of helping to combat stomach ailments and digestive upset. As it is high in menthol, it is particularly useful in soothing body aches and clearing respiratory congestion, especially due to asthma, bronchitis and spasmodic coughs.
Peppermint oil is well known to aid in headache and migraine management as well as for jet lag and travel sickness and headaches. It is great for bursitis, muscular pain and spasms and frequently add in mouthwashes to combat bad breath and gum disease.
Botanical Family, Origin & Extraction: Labiatea (mint); USA; Steam distilled from leaves, stems, flower buds
Properties: Anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, antiseptic, antitoxic, astringent, decongestant, deodorant, diuretic, insecticidal, stimulant (digestive), and tonic
Body Systems Affected: Digestive system, muscles & bones, nervous & respiratory system, skin
Aromatic Influence: It is sedating, calming and relaxing allowing it to reduce anxiety and the aroma may have some particular influence on sex, physical energy and money. Additionally, the aroma of patchouli is known to ward off mosquitos, fleas, ants, lice, moths and flies.
Other Possible Uses: This oil may help anger, arthritis, colic, depression, fatigue, food poisoning, headaches, hives, hysteria, inflammation, liver problems, morning sickness, nerves (regenerate and support), rheumatism, elevate and open sensory system, soothe and cool skin (may help keep body cooler on hot days), toothaches, tuberculosis, and add flavor to water
French Medicinal Uses: Asthma, bronchitis, candida, diarrhea, digestive aid, fever (reduces), flu, halitosis, heartburn, hemorrhoids, hot flashes, indigestion, menstrual irregularity, migraine headache, motion sickness, nausea, respiratory function (aids), shock, skin (itchy), throat infection, varicose veins, vomiting
Directions for Use: Generally regarded as safe (GRAS) for internal consumption by the FDA (21CFR182.20)*
- Dilute 1 drop oil into 1 teaspoon honey or in 4 oz of beverage (i.e. soy/rice milk)
- Diffuse 6-8 drops in a diffuser of your choice
- Apply to forehead, temples, flex points and/or directly on area of concern
- Repeated use can possibly result in contact sensitization.
- Use with caution if dealing with high blood pressure
- Not for children under 6 years old; use with caution and in greater dilution for children 6 years old and older
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (refer to an aromatherapy text)
- The information on this website is not intended to diagnose or prescribe
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should consulting a trained healthcare practitioner prior to use
- You should not use this information for treating a health problem or disease or to make a self-diagnosis
- Contact your healthcare provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem
- Stop using this product immediately if you suspect an allergic reaction
GC/MS Report: The analysis of our Peppermint batch sample meets the expected chemical profile for authentic essential oil of Mentha piperita. No contamination or adulteration was detected. The results provided in the GC/MS quality analysis reflect the chemical composition of the oil and lot referenced on the date of analysis.
*Mockingbird Apothecary does not recommend ingestion of essential oils