Sweet Orange Essential Oil (Citrus Sinensis)
Sweet Orange essential oil is a tonic for the nervous system and counters depression, banishing feelings of sadness. It has historically been used to calm the digestive problems and eliminate toxins while also stimulating circulation.
When used in skin care it is a balancing oil for dry and dehydrated skin and works to restore broken capillaries and encourage radiant skin.
Botanical Family, Origin & Extraction: Rutaceae (citrus), Italy, cold pressed from rind
Properties: Antidepressant, antiseptic, antispasmodic, digestive, sedative, and tonic
Body Systems Affected: Digestive & immune systems, emotional balance, skin
Aromatic Influence: Orange brings peace and happiness to the mind and body and joy to the heart, which provide emotional support to help one overcome depression
Other Possible Uses: This oil may help appetite, bones (rickety) bronchitis, colds, colic (dilute for infants; helps them sleep), complexion (dull and oil), dermatitis, digestive system, fever, flu, lowers high cholesterol, mouth ulcers, muscle soreness, obesity, sedation, tissue repair, water retention, and wrinkles.
Historical Uses: Oranges, particularly bitter orange, has been used for palpitation, scurvy, jaundice, bleeding, heartburn, relaxed throat, prolapse of uterus and the anus, diarrhea, and blood in the feces
Blends With: Cinnamon bark, frankincense, geranium, juniper, lavender, nutmeg, rosewood
Directions for Use: Generally regarded as safe (GRAS) for internal consumption by the FDA (21CFR182.20)*
- Dilute 1 drop of oil in 1 teaspoon of honey or 4 oz of beverage (i.e. soy/rice milk)
- Use 6-8 drops in a diffuser of your choice
- Apply diluted to flex points and/or directly on area of concern.
- Dilute with a base and massage over stomach, solar plexus and thighs.
- Add to bath for relief of symptoms or as a warm compress
- Not for children under 6 years old; use with caution and in greater dilution for children 6 to 14 years
- Do not apply to eyes, sensitive areas or mucous membranes
- Do not apply undiluted to skin (refer to an aromatherapy text)
- The information on this website is not intended to diagnose or prescribe
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should use essential oils after consulting a trained healthcare practitioner
- You should not use this information for treating a health problem or disease
- Contact your healthcare provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem
- Stop using this product if you suspect an allergic reaction
GC/MS Report: The analysis of our Sweet Orange batch sample meets the expected chemical profile for authentic essential oil of citrus sinensis. No contamination or adulteration was detected. The results provided in the GC/MS quality analysis reflect the chemical composition of the oil and lot referenced on the date of analysis.
*Mockingbird Apothecary does not recommend ingestion of essential oils